Without a doubt the margarita is a classic cocktail adored worldwide for its tangy flavor that packs a punch. Did you know that although the exact origins of the original margarita remain somewhat a mystery, it is believed the first margaritas were created in Baja California Norte, somewhere near the towns of Tijuana and Ensenada in the late 1930s? A few years later a recipe for a margarita appeared in Esquire magazine in 1953. Since then, the margaritas have become an international cocktail star that is beloved across the world. For visitors to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico, here are our top 5 picks for the best margaritas in town.
- #1 Monkey’s Cave Bar
- Located in Cabo San Lucas, Monkey’s Cave Bar has 2 locations in Cabo to choose from. Their main location is near the Cabo marina, and they also have a second, smaller bar with drinks only in the downtown area. Their margaritas are their claim to fame and are made with local, fresh ingredients and top-shelf liquor. Whether you choose to have your margarita garnished with fresh orange or lime, you can be assured it will taste delicious and the portion size is substantial. As an added treat, they serve their margarita in locally made glasses that at the nearby Glass Factory which make a perfect keepsake or souvenir to take back home with you.
- #2 Uno Mas
- You can find Uno Mas in the Cabo Marina which offers a casual and cozy atmosphere perfect for a relaxed happy hour with friends. Try their well priced classic margarita for only $3.50, or for something different try their pineapple margarita which comes with Controy, Jose Cuervo Tradicional Tequila, lime, a splash of orange juice and fresh chunks of sweet and juicy pineapple. The friendly bartenders and the carefree setting is the ideal spot to spend a few hours sipping a refreshing cocktail with friends after a day of fun at the beach.
- #3 La Catrina
- La Catrina Restaurant and Bar offers a mix of Spanish, Mexican and Vegetarian cuisine right on the Playa El Medano Beach. Get ready to dip your toes in the sand and relax Cabo style. They are open all day and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner so you can taste a delicious margarita no matter what time of day it is. With great service and tasty margaritas with a view, you won’t be disappointed. Try their Ultimate Margarita for only $4.99 for a delicious cocktail that is easy on your wallet, too.
- #4 The Office
- The Office is a popular restaurant with tables situated right on the sand on Playa El Medano beach in Los Cabos. If possible, try to secure a reservation ahead of time as it can get very crowded during peak times. While all their margaritas are delicious, their Cadillac Margarita is a top choice and margarita lovers will be impressed with its quality ingredients and generous size. The Office also has an ample menu featuring delicious Mexican cuisine that perfectly compliments the fabulous margaritas, incredible sunsets, and spectacular ocean views.
- #5 Tequila Sunrise
- Last by not least, if you don’t mind getting out of town for a bit, the nearby small town of Todos Santos offers some of the best margaritas in the region in a spot called Tequila Sunrise. This centrally located restaurant is tailored for the tourists that visit Todos Santos with its perfect location right across the street from Hotel California. However, you will be impressed with the quality and taste of the food and drinks. Their Margarita Damiana is a top seller which is a beautiful blend of flavors that many claims are the best margarita they’ve ever had in their lives.
Next time you find yourself in Cabo San Lucas, try out these top 5 Margaritas and let us know which one is your favorite.